Skip Menu

Return to Skip Menu

Main Content

International Travel

Loaner Laptops

Please be aware that a number of universities have reported installation of malicious software in employee computers when left unattended in foreign countries. To avoid any potential issues of data leaving the United States or contracting malicious software on your regular workstation, OESRC will loan you a clean laptop for the duration of your travel.  Please submit this form make this request.  An OESRC representative will contact you to understand your computing needs while on travel, set up the computer for you, and arrange a meeting to deliver the hardware.  If you have reason to believe the computer you take with you (whether your workstation or the OESRC-loaner) has been compromised, please OESRC immediately.  You will provide an emergency contact information prior to your departure.  For other travel advice, please see current FBI travel guidance at Best Practices for Academics Traveling Overseas.

Loaner Laptop Request


General Information 

Federal export and sanctions regulations prohibit the unlicensed export of specific commodities, software, technology and payments to or from certain countries, entities and individuals for reasons of national security, foreign policy or protection of trade. University employees are required to comply with United States export and sanctions regulations when traveling abroad with commodities, software, and technology. The Office of Export and Secure Research Compliance (OESRC) can assist with export and sanction determinations related to your international travel. You will find helpful information below concerning international travel procedures and best practices to ensure compliance with these federal regulations. If you have any questions pertaining to international travel not covered on this page, please contact our office at or 1-6642.

In accordance with the Controller’s Office Procedure 20335a: Travel Overview, please follow these steps prior to international travel:

Travel Notifications.  In accordance with the Controller’s Office Procedure 20335a: Travel Overview ALL international travelers (including presenters, students, visitors, and other business associates) whose travel expenses are to be charged to university public funds (e.g., sponsored programs, operating, various, etc.) are required to notify OESRC prior to the international travel.  There are numerous ways to notify OESRC depending on the funding source or traveler.  The primary and most common method of notification is through the Travel and Expense Management (TEM) System.  OESRC is automatically notified through the TEM application of any international travel.  For foundation funded international travel (no TEM), please send a copy of a Travel Estimate and Approval (TEA) form by fax to 231-7297, by campus mail to 0497 or by email to

*International travelers working on restricted or classified research should also contact immediately for additional guidance.

Travel Advisories are provided by OESRC for all international travelers upon notification through the TEM system or by contacting our office.  Travel advisories include up-to-date information on restricted parties and sanction risks in the destination country, links to Department of State (DoS) travel warnings or alerts, as well as information concerning temporary export of university property.  The travel advisory will be issued by email to the traveler and the department point of contact.

Temporary Export of University Property.  The physical export outside of the United States1 of university commodities, software or technology is subject to control under U.S. export control laws and regulations.  In most cases, university employees may take common items, software and technology subject to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) outside of the United States under a “No License Required (NLR)” declaration, so long as this property is not exported to the five comprehensively sanctioned countries (Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Sudan, and North Korea).  OESRC DOES NOT require notification for the temporary export to a non-sanctioned country of commercially available laptops, tablets and/or cell phones with standard commercially available software because no license is required.  For export (temporary or permanent) of ANY OTHER types of university commodities, software or technology, please contact prior to your travel to ensure no export license is required.

1United States. Unless otherwise stated, the 50 States, including offshore areas within their jurisdiction pursuant to section 3 of the Submerged Lands Act (43 U.S.C. 1311), the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and all territories, dependencies, and possessions of the United States, including foreign trade zones established pursuant to 19 U.S.C. 81A-81U, and also including the outer continental shelf, as defined in section 2(a) of the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act (43 U.S.C. 1331(a)).


International Travel Tips and Additional Information

Presentations and discussions must be limited to topics that are not related to controlled commodities, software, or technology unless that information is already published or otherwise already in the public domain.

Verify that your technology or information falls into one or more of the following categories prior to travelling:

  • Research which qualifies as fundamental research
  • Published information
  • Publicly available software
  • Educational information

Do not take any commodities, software, or technology that fall into one of the following categories:

  • Classified, Controlled Unclassified, or Export Controlled
  • Limited Distribution, Proprietary, Confidential, or Sensitive
  • Specifically designed for military, intelligence, space, encryption software, or nuclear related applications
  • Data or information received under a Non-Disclosure Agreement
  • Data or information that results from a project with contractual constraints on the dissemination of the research results
  • Computer software received with restrictions on export to or on access by non-US Persons


Restricted Parties

Restricted Party Screening (RPS) is an essential component of export compliance. RPS determines if the individuals and companies with whom you desire to do business are on any government issued restricted, blocked, or denied party lists. Request a restricted party screening for entities and individuals with whom you will be doing business!

During your travel, if you are contacted by one of these entities or individuals, please record as much information as you can about the incident and contact this office at or 1-6642.

International Travel Links:

Best Practices for Academics Traveling Overseas

Department of State Country Specific Information

Department of State Travel Warnings and Alerts

Traveling Light in a Time of Digital Thievery

In This Section